Friday, August 13, 2010

Take Heart

Well the votes are in, its pretty clear, life isn't getting any easier. It doesn't matter where we go, who we are, what we will become. Whether it's aspired dreams dashed before our eyes, loss of our dream job, death, disease, tragedy, longing, crumbing marriages, the realization of our own faults and failures, friendships gone bad, offenses, misunderstandings, betrayal, the list will go on and on and on.  In this very day, this very moment, many of us are facing a great disapointment a monumental pain we never thought we would experience. Unseasoned - we are left stranded on our bathroom floors amongst soggy tissues and broken hearts.

Jesus states it pretty clear in John 16:33 In this world you will have trouble. And then he says something  tricky. "But take heart! I have overcome the world." That take heart is either a poetic statement of flight and whimsy or a hard commandment of trust and belief in the middle of trial.

So here starts my adventure of belief. It's time to pick ourselves off the floor, take a deep breath and Take Heart. I'm certain that my journey of belief will undoubtedly unravel with failed attempts, unmet expectations and derailed carts but all I know is that if I don't allow Jesus to have my heart in these circumstances, He never will. With pain and heartache as our companions, we also take The ONE who has overcome the world. And in the end the ONE is greater than all the other companions and we in him equals peace.

 33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Quotes by Jen Hatmaker
"Persistence is the mark of an advocate; we'll stay the course until we hear from our Savior."

"Jesus like a hunter chases faith in his followers so it may become strong and firmly rooted."

"Understand that sometimes his timing is linked to an examination of your heart, and hold steady. Keep going. Never give up."

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I think this might be my devotional today! Thanks sooooo much for sharing!