What a trip... Providential is how Lisa explained it. After 10 hours of driving we showed up to the nursing home 30 minutes out of town to find that my mother wasn't there. Jim had taken her home for the weekend. Angry and frustrated I started walking toward the door, but Lisa in her right mind suggested that I stay and talk to the nurses. All were kind and compassionate - but dropped hints like you never know what tomorrow will bring. and on my way out I talked out to the DON and she said well it wont be long before it settles in her system and becomes septic. It will take her life if she doesn't get them amputated. and then she looked my in the eyes and said "about two weeks is what we are thinking."
So, this trip became a rescue mission instead of a visit. We ended up getting her in the ER about 10:30 that night and through a ton of back and forth were going to send her back were going to keep her they kept her. (and may I say, this in its self was a miracle, I wish any of you reading this could have been there to see the amazing doctors and nurses that were there and the strings they pulled to let my mom stay) SO to the surgery floor we went.
The next day was filled with ups and downs as they talked about going ahead and doing the surgery, many visits back and forth, maggots, a charge nurse from my class in high school, and all you can imagine.
This goodbye was the first time I didn't cry as I left..(in my life)... (really) I guess I just felt so hopeful she was in good hands... That things were going in and upward swing...
Today she is still there and they are talking like they are going to save her legs... They stated that because she is in the hospital with the antibiotics flowing through her system they don't predict that she will get infection in her heart. Mom is out of it... she has a lot of confusion. Alzheimer's type symptoms. Yesterday I had to explain who Jim was. I feel like God is going to give her another chance though. I feel hopeful. Hopefully we will have a conference call with the Dr.'s and Surgeons.
I didn't get much time with my dad and (mom) but here are some pictures to capture their visit with River.
No comments:
Post a Comment