Friday, July 27, 2012

to love well

My grandmother slipped out quietly this last week. On Wednesday she passed... My mothers mother. One by one they fade away the ones who carry her memory and treasured her life. Sometimes mocked or scorned the way she lived but always loved deeply. I guess she had Leukemia, and she kept it as her secret. So that she may live her last days fully with out all the fuss. And I see her now with scarf in hand A dance, the long - awaited dance, in the embrace of my grandfather, my mother and all the others who have gone before... There is an ache in the pit of my stomach... as memories of her life our life pass through. Her role was small but significant. She loved us well. She brought special treats, she was a haven in a time of brokenness and I loved her laugh. I can remember the smell of the Wisconsin cabin. the accent in her voice. The cabbage patch doll, the swimming, and her brokenness at my mothers funeral. She loved well. To the best of her ability she loved.
  

Were slipping through this life people.. One at a time we come in, one at a time we go out... Father... I beg you make it count. I don't want to leave as a breeze, or even someone well know... I want to leave as someone who loved others, and helped others know God...

2 comments:

the sealey family said...

so sorry for your loss, nat. praying for your heart today.

Mandy said...

so sorry Nat, praying for you