Friday, February 11, 2011

A Pretty Magical Story

For those who don't know the story behind our new space. I met Annie Kate Head in the park about 7 or 8 months ago I think... She was a well established business owner and art teacher here in waco. While talking over one last swing at the park with our girls we realized that we both were in to art and we both could help each other. I had been praying for over a year about going back to school for teaching and she had been praying that week literally about someone doing a trade for logo work and web design. Our trade became training for the advertisement needs she had.

Kate allowed me to get plugged into the Marlin School District teaching classes with Communities in Schools. She taught me how to set up a class, lay out lesson plans etc. That was great. THEN... She and her husband found themselves quickly moving to Austin due to some incredible Job opportunities. Kate's house is BEAUTIFUL. It's in an amazing park. It has a river, mountains, bike trails and of course the awesome Cameron Park Zoo. All of which are in walking distance or a small 2 minute drive.

About 2 years ago we sold our other house and we have been renting a little 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house which met our needs perfectly during our transition, but when Kate offered to sell their house to us at cost we couldn't refuse. It was a win win they got the money the needed, they sold their house quickly in a DEAD market, and we were able to buy the house at a fair price.

The house... wow... it's beautiful. The only downfall is it's only two bedrooms... BUT the Art Studio turns into a room all it's self with a pull down Murphy bed. The house is about 2000 square feet, it has bamboo in the back yard and a smattering of trees in the front. When you walk outside you hear quietness and at night you can see the stars... (VERY uncommon for Waco!)

Not only was this all of a great deal for us but there's more. She basically handed me two of her classes on class has 6 k-3rd graders and the other is a preschool class. I also started private lessons with another gal. She is leaving all her supplies until May so I can slowly build up my own supplies and she will continue to finish out here contracts here. And she is continuing to train me until May as well. This has been a completely wild ride and we are so in love with this place!! Teaching Art to kids warms my heart. I just love it... I can take both the design and the teaching at a slow pace. Next fall I will be starting a Worshiping God through the practice of art in which I hope to incorporate, music, contemplative prayer, listening, silence and of course expression through art. I am excited. This summer I will spend my energy doing art camps for Kids.

I know the next question is well Natalie how are you a mom in all of this, and all I can say is I don't know... One God has given me a large capacity and two.. It's some how working.. Sometimes when I get up in the morning I have to ask God to help me be a mom first. But as I watched them play in their rooms this morning I felt peace knowing that I didn't have to be a super mom... I just needed to be with them, to live life one on one with them, to invite them into my world as they demand my presence in theirs.

I'm still trying to schedule my work during their nap times only. But one of my classes is on Friday from 4-5 we have hired a babysitter during this time and she is wonderful. Our church pastor's daughter. Actually she is not just wonderful, In the reality of everything she is the Very Best Babysitter we could have hired and she, just like this house has fallen in our laps. I've never known such unmerited incredible favor from God.

This is so surreal and amazing... WE ARE BLESSED

2 comments:

Tara said...

CHILL BUMPS! I LOVE IT! God is AMAZING! OH Nat! I'm so happy for you and your sweet family! And I can't wait to visit!! What a faithful loving and kind God we serve! Love you!

Jon & Ashley McP said...

So happy for you guys - can't wait to see pictures!