Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Dr. Pepper Day

Some days I miss ol Bass Marketing... Well.. not really Maybe I just miss Dr. Pepper days. Some days when it was super hectic Val would come around the corner pop her head in my door and say "Dr. Pepper Day?" As I would scramble around for loose change she would say don't worry it's on me.  For some reason in that moment Dr. Pepper made all the difference...

Today was my day. I packed the kids in the car. I love the car. The kids are strapped down on opposite ends. Lucy props her feet up and looks at the clouds, thinking, singing, she is at peace. River once romping and destroying the house is now tucked away in her seat sipping happily on her juice cup. And mom... One sip of my sweet caffeinated Dr. Pepper and all is well.

Today in the car we talked once again about who made what. We talked about how God made the trees and the lake, the flowers, the sky. How he made them just for us so we could be at peace with him, so that he could show his beauty in all creation. Lucy pipes in... Mom... God made the rainbow... Jesus made the rainbow... I love how she interchanges God and Jesus... Somehow the mystery of the trinity is no confusion to my three year old... We'll save that conversation for another day.  Then we talked about what Man made... How man made the road and the cars and the signs and phones and the city.... And how some times when we are in the middle of the city it's hard to be at peace...

Then all the sudden I realized that my completely terrible day with screaming kids and endless wants just became a good day. It was a Dr. Pepper day.

5 comments:

the sealey family said...

wow! amen! funny... i did the same thing yesterday. no dr. pepper. just needed a break. so we piled in the car and i dropped a piece of mail in the mailbox, got gas, and took the long way home. just for some moments of peace and to be out of the confines of this house. we didn't have near the depth of conversation that you did... but it got me through.

glad i'm not alone!

Mandy said...

aren't the simplest things the greatest memories! I still rely on my "sonic days" which is a habit I picked up in college :). Sonic definitely serves as a relief pitcher for me - I even remember once in college leaving to go to get a drink because I needed a break and I backed into the stairs as I pulled out and I decided I was already in need of relief so I did not even stop to look at the damage till I got to Sonic!!!

Natalie Ward said...

That's so hilarious Mandy.

Tara said...

I love it! I love to know I'm not alone to like Lisa said! I love me some Sonic drinks just to get out and get a change of scenery. They tricky part for me now is telling the kiddos it's just mommies drink and I have a juice cup for them ;)

Abbie said...

Whew! So good to know that Sonic brings relief to others as well! on my days off I go to Sonic during happy hours to get the largest drink... I literally plan my day around 2-4 o'clock just so that I can get my "HAPPY DRINK" Love that its the simple things in life that we can appreciate and enjoy! sonic, porch swings, painted toe nails, flowers...
Thank you Lord for the ALL THINGS!